You are browsing the internet and are searching for something, however every other website you open, there is a website pop-up message, thankfully you have the Pop Up Ad-blocker installed which stops the pop-ups from showing. This is a scenario from the perspective of a prospective customer.
Now from the perspective of a business, this is problematic, what if out of 1000 hits to your website every day, 900 visitors have a pop-up ad-blocker or ad filtering tools installed, then you are relying on only 100 visitors to become leads. This way through the purpose of popup advertising, attracting customers to buy your products is defeated.
To start with let us answer the question “What is Pop Up Advertising?” Pop Up Advertising is another form of online marketing to attract visitors to a website, ask them to register with an email address and then continue with strategic bulk Email Marketing.
Pop Up Advertising was first developed by Ethan Zukerman while working in Tripod.com 1994 – 1999 as a revenue-building model. But, even Zukerman now thinks that it was a bad invention the essence of pop up ads has gone far off being an Ads-supported business model to be nowadays considered as spamming very often carrying the virus to infect websites and businesses, and plain annoying for visitors to a website.
However, there is a way to go around pop-up ads being called spams. If businesses follow pop-up best practices, then it will not be considered as spamming.
Advantages of Pop up advertising:
- Ads are highly visible, effective pop-ups are successful in grabbing the attention of the visitor and generate revenue.
- Once a customer’s attention is gauged, there is a high probability that the traffic may convert into leads. Statistics show that pop up ads conversion rate is 3%, may not seem much, but eventually builds customer numbers.
- Websites can increase a business’s email subscription rate.
- You can use an informational page to be your pop-up page, like FAQs, an inquiry page, etc. to have better engagement
- You can also be inventive, instead of a popup, pop-under windows can be used, when the main browser is closed, your visitor can view this popup message, get a message and this enhances the experience of the visitor.
Pop up ad placement is crucial in attracting visitors to your website. The following pop up rules are effective and can be used by businesses:
- Pop up strategy with relevant information: Having a popup strategy makes sure that you have an achievable target to increase email double opt-in and have relevant and helpful information.
- Do not use pop up on Mobile website: Using pop up ads on the mobile website can bring you under the radar of Google, your website could be penalized.
- Strategic Popup Ad placement: Placing the ad on the bottom right corner or somewhere where the visitor is not disturbed from their browsing experience and also taking care that the popup window is small yet attractive enough to grab visitor attention.
- Use Hover ads: Plan to use hover ad, which appears after say 2-3 minutes of a visitor opening your website or when the visitor has finished reading and reached the end of the page. This way you have engaged the customer and are displaying more information on the popup, prompting them to visit the page.
So, do not straight away write-off pop up ads, with strategic planning and following the above rules, one can surely collect email addresses the right way and eventually convert into leads. Register for a Digital Marketing Course now with Alpha IRT to learn more about how do pop up ads work?