Businesses with websites have an advantage of reaching out to audiences who use the internet extensively, but no doubt have their work also doubled to be visible to those internet-savvy audiences and to SERP (Search Engine Rank Pages) sites like Google, Yahoo, and Bing, etc.
For this purpose businesses require two kinds of optimizations to be done for their website, on-site SEO and off-site SEO. The main reason you need both these kinds of SEO is to create brand awareness and build trust with your audience and SERP sites.
What Is On-Site SEO?
On-site SEO or On-page SEO is where optimization is done on the website by the website administrators so as to rank higher and attract relevant traffic from SERP sites. This is done by linking internal pages of your website with specific SEO keywords that are suitable for your website and many more techniques.
What Is Off-Site SEO?
Off-site SEO or off-page SEO is where optimization is done away from the website by the website administrators, using other methods to optimize traffic towards the website through link building, social media, videos, infographics, etc.
Link Building In Off-Site SEO
It is important that one understands the meaning of link building to implement it efficiently. A simple Link building definition is where links are exchanged with other websites to build quality links to your own website. In off-page SEO, link building is a very effective method to drive organic traffic to your website.
SERP sites see a website as authentic if it has good quality backlinks and also provides informative and helpful content to users.
What Are Backlinks And Why Are They Important For SEO?
Backlinks are kind of network of lots of links that originate from other or external websites and connect back to your website. Backlinks are very important for SEO since they help your website to be indexed on SERP sites.
Hence, website administrators must aim to create backlinks that are genuine, high quality and not spam.
How To Create Backlinks?
There are many ways to create backlinks, but one has to be careful that their link building strategies do not go overboard and appear as spamming to SERP sites.
The different link building strategies that are effective and bring quality traffic to your website are:
- Content writing – If you have 2-3 websites then, writing top quality content and linking it to your other websites is a good way to backlink. Sometimes having 2-3 external micro-sites or blog sites linking back to your website also creates a good network of links.
- Through guest blogging – This is a good way to leave your website link in the blog you published on another website.
- Social Media – Social Media is a great way to build links. Creating your business accounts on key social media platforms is essential to build links and attract targeted traffic to your website. Some of the effective social media sites are Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, etc.
- Email-Marketing – This is another traditional yet effective way to create backlinks.
- Create a backlink Email campaign and really great content that adds value to readers, and other websites would love to share on their website.
- Research for authoritative websites with high-standard content that are very similar to your own website and then check if their website blog or resource lacks content that you can provide.
- Once you establish the above, the only thing left to do is to get in touch with the website owner or administrator and offer them to share your content on their site and in return request for a link back to your website from theirs.
- This can take a little longer to do and no guarantee that the other website may even respond, but it is one of the most effective ways and does not also violate SERP site rules. (source: semrush.com)
- Answer questions – Answering queries of readers on sites like Yahoo Answers, Quora and Ask Jeeves, etc., where you provide genuine and helpful information and also place a link back to your website if the readers find your answers helpful they are bound to trust and get attracted to your website for more information. Key here is to sound helpful (which, you genuinely are) and not sales-y.
Types Of Backlinks:
The types of backlinks that you must use are:
- Content-driven backlinks – Backlinks that come from high-standard content that contain keywords your website ranks for and that adds value to your website. These can be cleverly done by creating a piece of content for blogs that is interesting to read, is generating news and also can be shared by high-domain sites.
- Social Media backlinks – Creating content for social media is another way for good backlinks. People love sharing text, images or videos that are appealing and are beneficial for their family and friends. Infographics or pictures of your website services and products shared on Pinterest or Instagram can garner more organic traffic. A very good example is of Elections in India 2019, which trended on social media handles a lot and also kept India together and excited.
- Build Broken Backlinks – Review all the links that come to your website from time to time, and repair broken links.
- Social Profile Backlinks – Backlinks that are placed on your business profiles are effective. Whether you create a profile on Google business or a good social media platform like LinkedIn or Facebook, having a link coming back to your website from it is credible.
- Review Site Backlinks – If you are an expert in your field or industry, you can consider reviewing other sites. A good and genuine review attracts readers to the piece of content and then, to your website (place your link in the review).
Pros And Cons Of Backlinks:
Pros Of Backlinks:
There are many benefits of link building, like-
- Brand authority and awareness
- Regular organic referral traffic
- Build a solid network of links with similar websites
- Rank higher and faster indexing on SERPs
Cons Of Backlinks:
- If not done properly, for example, too many links or low-quality content that is bad for SEO can lead to your website being banned from SERP sites.
- If you have links but not good quality content being linked to it then, it is useless.
Are Backlinks Still Important In 2019?
Backlinks can never go obsolete since that is the only reason SERP sites index a website, the better the quality of the links, the more exposed your site is and is ranked higher. The importance of backlinks in 2019 still exists as it is one of the most effective ways to create an authentic online image for readers and SERP sites.